Steven Daems - Senior Associate
Steven is a senior associate with a focus on corporate and commercial law. He is a vigorous litigator who assists clients in all kinds of corporate and commercial disputes, both in and out of the court. Steven also provides assistance in matters relating to shareholders disputes, directors’ liability, corporate governance, compliance and operational legal support.
In addition to corporate and commercial litigation, Steven focuses on insolvency law and as such assists in restructuring businesses in financial difficulties and advises on matters relating to bankruptcy.
Prior to being senior associate at Cresco, Steven was an associate in both the corporate litigation as well as the transactions department of Laurius Advocaten (2008-2013) and a senior associate in the litigation department of Ambos NBGO (2013-2014).
After obtaining his law degree (UA 2008), Steven obtained a postgraduate degree in business economics (AMS 2011) and completed the postgraduate study program of receiver/liquidator in 2016 (KUL/UA).
Steven is a Legal 500 recommended lawyer for Dispute Resolution and Real Estate.
STEVEN'S REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS
- Represented an international biotechnological company and its insurer in successful settlement negotiations against two suppliers and their insurers, obtaining a multi-million euro settlement to the benefit of our client as well as preserving our client’s commercial relationship with its suppliers.
- Represented minority shareholders of a large family owned corporation; providing legal advice during ongoing negotiations to investigate an amicable settlement; obtaining a court order allowing their exit and the appointment of an expert to determine share price; providing legal assistance during the expertise relating to the share price.
- Obtained a court order granting a managing director (who was dismissed on false grounds) his contractual dismissal fee, followed by immediate seizures on various bank accounts of the company.
- Obtained a verdict stating a company had published damaging information in light of the dismissal of several of its directors, as well as stating the company had to publish several rectifications in the Belgian Gazette and pay indemnifications to the directors.
- Represented a creditor in obtaining a verdict ordering the immediate dissolution of the company; subsequently follow up the revindication of the creditor's claim.
- Providing legal assistance to a major gold processing company in updating their internal compliance procedures in accordance with Belgian and international law.
- Advised various shareholders and/or directors of international companies on internal (strategic) policy, post-acquisition disputes and liability issues, and when necessary represented them in various (summary) proceedings.
- Represented the shareholders of several horeca entities in the successful restructuring of the hotels / restaurants under the Belgian law relating to the continuity of enterprises.
- Represented the Belgian division of a leading security and safety solutions company in successful settlement negotiations with an international specialist in digital security solutions.
- Represented and advising potential investors during their efforts to take over a multinational renewable energy company under the Belgian law relating to the continuity of enterprises.
- Represented and advising minority shareholders in obtaining a favorable valuation of the price of their shares, followed by their successful exit from the company.
- Assisted a large Belgian contractor in obtaining a settlement with a bank for lack of due diligence in the procedure to issue a bank guarantee to be submitted with the offer for a tender regarding a project in Northern Africa.
- Represented manufacturers of various kinds of goods (ranging from animal stables over wooden plates to large steel constructions) regarding claims or proceedings started by unsatisfied clients.
- Represented a multinational owning warehouses in Belgium regarding an indemnity claim for damage inflicted to the building put at the disposal of the contract partner.
- Advised a large Belgian hotel group in its attempt to, under the provisions of the Belgian law concerning the continuity of enterprises, acquire several assets of another hotel company.